Verizon retired their residential email service. They offered instructions on how to migrate your Verizon.net email, calendar & address book. However, if you missed the deadline of December 15th, 2017, Verizon posted a notice that your email has been deleted from their servers. If you are a Verizon customer looking for other free email alternatives, many have switched to services such as Gmail, AOL or Yahoo.
How to Set Up Gmail on a Verizon Phone
Using Gmail on a Verizon phone is relatively easy. The main thing with Gmail accounts is that you need your login credentials. Gmail accounts are secure and very fast as well. Here are the steps to set up your Gmail account on your Verizon device:
- On Android devices, open the Play Store. For iOS devices, go to the App Store.
- Search for “Gmail” at the Play Store or App Store.
- Download the Gmail app. Make sure it is the official Gmail app from Google; many scammers try to make knockoff versions to steal your data.
- Open the Gmail app and log in. You’re done! Google does the rest.
With any email hosting account other than Gmail, you can still use the Gmail app for access. Otherwise, you can always use the default email app on your device.
How to Set Up AOL email on a Verizon Phone
Thankfully, AOL has also created an AOL email app.
- Search either the Play Store or the App Store for “AOL – News, Mail & Video”
- Download and install the app.
- Log in to your AOL account and enjoy!
How to Set Up Yahoo email on a Verizon Phone
Like the other email providers, the best method is to use the official Yahoo email app.
- Search the Play Store on Android or the App Store on iOS for “Yahoo Mail – Stay Organized”
- Download the app and install it on your device.
- Log in using your Yahoo email account and you’re done!
How to Set Up ProtonMail on a Verizon Phone
ProtonMail offers the world’s largest email service with built-in encryption. Their email servers are based in Switzerland, which means many foreign authorities won’t be able to access your data. You can easily set up ProtonMail on either Android phones or iPhones.
- Go to the Play Store or the App Store and search for “ProtonMail – Encrypted Email”
- Download the app to your device and install it.
- Log in using your ProtonMail credentials.
- Enjoy ProtonMail on your device!
How to Set Up Other Email Accounts on a Verizon Phone
You might have an account with another email provider. In order to set up email on your Android or iOS device, you’ll need some details. There are three different methods of processing your emails, and each has its own settings.
IMAP Email Setup for Verizon Phones
IMAP stands for Internet Message Access Protocol. This standard allows a user to access their emails from multiple devices. The emails are stored on the host provider’s servers. Your email provider must have IMAP set up on their end for this process to work. Be sure to check with them for details.
- Make sure you know your full email address with password and keep them on hand.
- Find out your IMAP server address and the ports for access. Confirm the details with email provider.
- Open your stock email app or the Gmail app and add a new account.
- Once you enter the login credentials, choose Manual Setup.
- Select IMAP4 as your account type and go to Next.
- Under the area for IMAP settings, you will need to fill out the following fields.
|USERNAME||Enter your email address.|
|PASSWORD||Enter the password for your email account.|
|INCOMING MAIL SERVER||Find and enter your incoming Email server.|
|OUTGOING MAIL SERVER||Find and enter your outgoing Email server.|
|INCOMING PORT||Choose your port with or without SSL.|
|OUTGOING PORT||Choose your port with or without SSL.|
POP3 Email Setup for Verizon Phones
Most professionals should not use POP3, or Post Office Protocol version 3, for their email. This is due to the way POP3 treats your emails on the server. They are downloaded to your local device when you access your email, but that process removes them from the server. In the event you delete an email by accident or lose access to your device, you lose any emails that you synced. If for some reason you are required to use this protocol, these are the steps for setup.
- Make sure you have your POP server address and port(s).
- Create a New Account in your email client.
- Choose Other and Manual Setup after you enter your email address and password.
- Select POP# and Next.
- Use the information provided by your email service provider to fill out the fields.
|USERNAME||Enter your full email address.|
|PASSWORD||Enter your email account password.|
|INCOMING MAIL SERVER||Input your incoming Email server.|
|OUTGOING MAIL SERVER||Input your outgoing Email server.|
|INCOMING PORT||Choose the port with SSL or without.|
|OUTGOING PORT||Choose the port with SSL or without.|
SMTP Email Setup for Verizon Phones
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol, or SMTP, is the most commonly used way of sending emails. This is in contrast to POP3 and IMAP, which are used to retrieve emails from your server or receive them directly on a device. Typically if you have to input this manually you will need the following information.
- Description: Your nickname for identifying the server
- Server Name: Your specific SMTP server. Your email service can provide the details.
- Port: SMTP usually uses port 25, but you can also use port 587.
- Connection security: SMTP email transfer is not an encrypted connection by default. In order to secure your connection, use an SSL/TLS or STARTTLS extension. These extensions encrypt your communication by routing through a different port.
- Authentication: You can use multiple methods such as KERBEROS, passwords, CRAM-MD5, or others.
- User Name: This will be your full email address.